11.25.2014

A Writer's Thanksgiving

When I asked for ideas for today's blog post, Untethered Realms member Catherine Stine suggested a writer's thanksgiving. Being from the UK, it's one annual event I don't celebrate. However, this year I am. I'm going to share with you all the things I'm thankful for as a writer.


I'm thankful I can read. I was lucky enough to have a foster-father who believed in the importance of being able to read and the fantastic worlds that were opened for you because you could read.

I'm thankful that as a young child I lived within a few minutes walk of a library. I spent many happy hours hunting for new books. I'm grateful all those reads were free.

I'm thankful I can write. It pains me that so many of the world's population cannot read or write.

I'm thankful I have the tools to write. The ability to use letters to form words that in turn form sentences, paragraphs, and eventually stories. A word processor that makes writing so quick and easy. A treasured fountain pen and notepads for when I prefer to scratch those words into life.

I'm thankful I have the time to write. Of course, I always want more.

I'm thankful I have the freedom to write. My words aren't censored. I don't live in fear of my life because of what I write or publish.

I'm thankful for the writing community. I don't think I've experience a more supportive and inspiring group of people.

I'm thankful for editors, cover artists, and all the people who help writers create books. I'm always in awe of their talents.

I'm thankful for being a part of an amazing writing group, Untethered Realms. My fellow Realmers inspire and motivate me on a daily basis. They support me when I feel down, kick my backside when I need it, and most importantly make me laugh when laughter is needed.

I'm thankful I love to write, and that I found my passion in life.

Lastly, I'm thankful I have readers. There is no better reward for a writer than to have someone read your stories and tell you they liked them.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie .. what a great post from a non-Thanksgiving UK blogger .. we are always thankful for our lives here in the UK .. we are blessed to be here, blessed to have an education and best to be free and be able to think and make decisions for ourselves ...

    I so endorse your post .. brilliant ... and to be amongst supportive bloggers, readers, writers and commenters ... we are so lucky .. have a great week and lots of happy times ahead - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. We are truly blessed, both in the UK and USA.

      Delete
  2. Excellent topic, Ellie! There is much to be thankful for, whether we have a traditional Thanksgiving or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, River. I have to give thanks to Catherine for suggesting the topic.

      Delete
  3. This is such a wonderful post. I also find it so sad that in the modern age there are still so many people that can't write and read. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Murees. I'm thankful you liked my post and the sentiment contained within it. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, Ellie. Like Murees, it is stunning how many people in our world today can't read or write, or aren't allowed to read or write what they want. And UR rocks! You guys are fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. UR does rock!

      I know illiteracy rates are shocking - around 750 million people aged 15 or over cannot read or write.

      Delete
  5. A great topic...thank you. :)

    As an (in)frequent visitor to this blog, I thing myself grateful everytime I get here.

    A supportive and talented group of writers.

    Much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kevin. Your words mean a lot to me and I'm sure the rest of Untethered Realms.

      Delete
  6. Rex is dancing. This gig would be so much harder without all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful post and can make one think. There are so many people who are not allowed to write what they wish or they may even suffer prison sentences! How wonderful and thank you for writing and being here in blog land

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Birgit. We are lucky to have the freedom to write.

      Delete
  8. Love it. And as a committed readaholic I am so grateful for the writers who feed my addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elephant's Child. I'm also a proud readaholic. I just wish I had more time to read!

      Delete
  9. That's a lot to be thankful for. My thankful writer list is long too. Reading and writing is magic. Whoever invented it was a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. I think writing is probably our single greatest achievement as a species.

      Delete
  10. Discovering new worlds through reading, finding my writing passion, and being a part of the Untethered Realms team are things I'm truly thankful for as well. This list is wonderful, Ellie :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. When I'm at my lowest moments, and life seems to hard, I shall revisit this list and remind myself of all the awesomesauce in my life!

      Delete
  11. Yes, I'm thankful for our UR group, and the writing community in general. Good thoughts, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete

What's happening in your dimension?